What gives the first impression in terms of your brand colours, is your Logo. Colours have common meanings which affect how you should decide on what to use. Here are some popular colours and their associated meaning:
- Red – energy, passion, action, ambition and determination.
- Yellow – the mind and the intellect. It is optimistic and cheerful.
- Green – balance and growth. It can also mean self-reliance.
- Blue – trust and peace. It can suggest loyalty and integrity.
- Brown – friendly yet serious, down-to-earth colour that relates to security, protection, comfort and material wealth.
To help you carefully think through the colours you should choose for branding, consider taking a Branding Workshop. During which you can walk through a process that will guide you in determining key characteristics about your business, and finding the right colours to show your attributes. In a branding workshop, you should look at these elements:
- Who is your target market
- What key messages do you want to convey
- Your brand positioning based on your key needs
- Your brand persona
- Story telling elements
Think about what you want your business to be known for, and how should you appear to your target market. What are the values your business stands for? Your chosen colours have a brand voice; it conveys a feeling, an attitude. Therefore Logo design and colour choice should be a carefully thought out process as your branding will become part of you. More importantly, it will be how people recognise you and remember you by. Take another look at the Logos at the beginning, through the lens of the meanings of colours. These business have achieved recognition by their Logo and colours.
Once your colours have been decided, then you need to consider the other visual elements in terms of shapes and fonts. If graphics is not your forte, enlisting a good branding specialist is well worth the investment. Remember, branding and logo design is more than just arranging some colourful shapes and letters together. It IS your brand, your story and everything your business stands for.
Here at Graphic Design Perth, our team of creative branding specialists not only have a keen eye for design, we also understand the importance of your branding. We can sit down and go through a branding workshop with you, help you find your colours, and create a logo that speaks your brand and makes an impact!